You’re not alone if you suffer from upper or lower back pain that’s severe enough to limit your movement or activities. Back pain is a very common problem and will affect many of us at some point during our lives, it’s estimated that over 80% of the population suffers from back pain at some point in their lives.
Main Causes of Back Pain:
- Poor posture
- Muscle strain is often caused by jarring movements. Twisting suddenly, sports-related injuries, or lifting heavy objects incorrectly can cause back pain.
- Nerve impingement, also known as nerve compression or a “pinched nerve”
- Herniated or bulging disc (can impinge or “pinch” a nerve)
- Degenerative disc disease
- Osteoarthritis- the most common form of arthritis
Types of Back Pain:
Doctors and researchers describe the types of back pain in the following ways:
- Acute Back Pain– Occurs suddenly and usually lasts a few days to a few weeks.
- Subacute Back Pain– Occurs suddenly or over time and lasts 4 to 12 weeks.
- Chronic Back Pain- Occurs suddenly or over time and lasts longer than 12 weeks.
When to seek medical attention:
If your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms
- constant back pain that does not ease after resting or lying down
- pain or numbness down your legs and below the knees
- pain caused by a recent injury or trauma to your back
- swelling of the back
- loss of bladder control
- loss of bowel control
- a fever of 100.4ºF or above
- unexplained weight loss
Live Free From Your Back Pain
Don’t stay stuck in your pain, if you are experiencing back pain or any other pain that is keeping you from doing the things you love, check out our services.
Our doctors are experienced in treating back pain and can help patients make a full recovery. We care about helping you find back pain relief, for more information contact us today for a free phone consultation. We can help you find the lasting relief you deserve.